We all have a social mask, right? We put it on, we go out, put our best foot forward, our best image. But behind that social mask is a personal truth, what we really, really believe about who we are and what we're capable of.
-Phil McGraw

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Challenge

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly--anonymous



My mom inspired me today.  The above quote was on her page and I am pretty sure she put that there for me.  God knows I have told her atleast four times in the past two days of how frustrated with myself I am.  So she answers with that and I am thinking, Yeah, it's all about perspective isn't it??  I am amazed at how instantly I felt not as crappy about myself and my "poor decision" making.  In lieu of airing my not-so-glamorous recent behaviors, I will just give you this analogy:  


When a child is small enough not to understand that the stove is hot, you say "Don't touch that, owie!"  He or she looks at you and quizically in their little mind is trying to figure out what in the heck you just said...It makes no sense to them.  So dumbfounded, they walk away from the stove; and as a parent, you think you've acheived something monumental and avoided a minor tragedy or trip to ER.  Well, little do you know, as you're boiling pasta there will be a little hand to follow not so long after.  Sizzle, sizzle, burn! That DOES HURT.  But wounds heal, owies go away; and that little tyke will soon forget that the stove is actually VERY hot at times.  What do you know, here comes that little paw again.... .OUCH!!


Ok, you're probably yawning by now.  My apologies. You may never retrieve those 15 seconds of your life again.  Put it on my tab.

According to the quote, whatever I may have done to feel extreme failure and disappointment at the moment is only going to set me up for a future success story.  A building block to a much smarter, conscientious me. :) That's not so bad, huh?

Thank you for a brand new perspective.   And uhm, note to self--the stove IS hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment